Sex and desire. These are the topics for this week’s podcast episode.
Tracey and I started this podcast because we wanted a place to have honest, unfiltered conversations, to talk about things that get pushed aside or pretended away or ignored because they might lead to discomfort or uncertainty.
Well, I think we might have nailed it (pun intended) with this episode. It’s possible some parts of our discussion will make you slightly uncomfortable. Hopefully this dialogue also makes you think a little bit.
At the very least, I hope you laugh. We certainly did.
Please note that we talk very openly and honestly about sex, sex education, and sexual desire. We also use proper anatomical terminology for all male and female body parts, and do not shy away from things like masturbation and sexual pleasure.
If any of these topics offend you, this episode might not be for you. But if you want to listen to some unfiltered dialogue about sex and desire, I’m confident you’ll love this discussion.
(Also: Tracey recently acquired some baby chickens that you can hear chirping their way through our conversation. It feels like a fitting addition to the dialogue, somehow.)
Specific highlights include:
- What does “normal” mean when it comes to sex and desire?
- How our society defines normal and how we got here
- How misinformed we are about sex and our bodies from a young age
- When and what Tracey and I first learned about sex
- Messaging we received as teenagers about sex
- Spoiler alert: I have had sex (Gasp!)
- Are we allowed to have multiple partners? What number is “normal”? Do we share our numbers with new partners?
- The importance of masturbation, especially for women
- Prioritizing female pleasure
- Does sex require practice? (Hint: Yes)
- The relationship between sex, vulnerability, and intimacy
- What role did Seinfeld play in my sex education?
- A primer on the clitoris and why it isn’t taught as a part of sex education
- Savage Lovecast with Dan Savage
- Come As You Are by Emily Nagoski
- Women’s Anatomy of Arousal by Sheri Winston
- And more!
Direct Download (Right click to download)
If you loved this episode (or any of the previous episodes), please consider subscribing in iTunes or leaving us a 5-star review. This helps other folks find us and helps us spread our message of raw honesty and openness farther and wider than we could spread it on our own. Thank you for your support!
And if you have any guests you’d like to recommend we interview (including yourself!) or questions you’d like us to discuss in future episodes, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact me directly or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reach Tracey and me together!